Why the shutdown?
Due to low usage, Google App Maker will be turned down gradually over the course of 2020 and officially shut down on January 19, 2021. Prior to the shutdown, you’ll need to review App Maker usage in your domain and take any necessary action. This means developers, administrators and users will no longer have access to google app maker which is a huge blow.
Schedule for shutting down
App Maker will be disabled gradually according to the schedule below:
- Existing apps continue to work. Though App Maker is no longer under active development, the service will continue to be maintained.
- As of today, you are no longer able to create new App Maker apps. You will still be able to edit and deploy existing apps.
- Starting January 19, 2021, existing App Maker apps will stop working and you will no longer have access to them. App maker data stored in Cloud SQL will remain unchanged and continue to follow the policies established by your Google Cloud Platform (GCP) account.
Actions you can take
Due to the specific source code used for App Maker, you can’t directly migrate your apps to another platform. Depending on your use case, we recommend the following:
- If you use App Maker to automate business processes: Use AppSheet, a new addition to our application development portfolio that has capabilities similar to App Maker. App Maker data is stored in Cloud SQL, and App Sheet supports Cloud SQL databases. This allows you to build an application on the existing database tied to your App Maker app.
- If you use App Maker to develop apps: Use App Engine to build and deploy applications on a fully managed platform. App Maker data is stored in Cloud SQL, allowing you to build an App Engine application on the existing Cloud SQL database tied to your App Maker app.
- If you use App Maker for data collection: Use Google Forms, which has many new features that were not available when App Maker launched.
NB: Hapaweb Solutions is an authorized Google G Suite partner in Ghana where you can purchase any of the Google G Suite Packages ie. Basic, Business and Enterprise. At Hapaweb we also provide all forms of support services to ensure you get the best out of the G Suite.
Contact us and we will be happy to assist you!